Saturday, January 26, 2013

Short Story Number Three


            “I don’t have anything to offer you, sir.”
            “Then why the hell did you come here for a job?” the aging man asked in a sudden inspiration of rage.
            Shane had seen the young boy walking sullenly by the outskirts of his property. His haggard clothing gave him away for a beggar, but his obvious youth hinted at a more bitter history.
            “I don’t know,” he said meekly, “this is the first place I thought of.”
            “You ain’t a runaway, are ya? I’ll let you use my phone and you can call whomever you’d like to try to get someone to pick you up.”
            The older man’s anger subsided.
            “No, I’m not. My father kicked me out of the house. I just need a place to stay and work ‘till I figure out what I’m going to do.”
The boy stared at the pavement, avoiding eye contact with all of his might.  Shane thought hard about his response. Room and work, he had plenty to give, but dealing with a teenager seemed worse than dealing with an injured tiger.  He thought of the consequences that might arise from housing a runaway. The police may come to his refuge looking for him, but that wasn’t a problem. In the meantime, the boy could learn something from hard work.
            “This is an animal sanctuary, but it’s not a walk in the park. You’re not going to be playing with monkeys all day or anything like that. So, get that out of your head. This place is hard work. You gotta rake leaves, scoop up crap, repair fences, and all that. If you’re not ready for that you can still use my phone and find another place. If not, there’s an empty house in the back that I use for storage. You can stay there for free and have dinner for free, but I’m not paying you a single penny.”
            A subtle sigh of relief lifted the boy’s shoulders.
            “Thank you, sir. I’ll get started right away,” he replied eagerly.
            “Okay, just relax. We’ll take it one step at a time. What do I call you?”
            “Jacob.”
            “Alright, Jacob, follow me.”

(unfinished, by Remy Dou)
             
            

2 comments:

  1. Are you going to publish all of these in a collection of short stories or develop them each into individual books or novels?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been reading a little more about Ernest Hemingway lately and just ordered one of his short story collections. I've beginning to develop interest in writing short-stories. I don't see these as novels, but maybe a collection. I have other ideas for novels. :) Maybe we should swap ideas some time.

    ReplyDelete